Himachal Pradesh is not only rich in natural beauty but also gains popularity in the paintings. The paintings of Himachal Pradesh illustrate the diversity of the area because of the Tibet presence. In addition to it, you will observe the immense creativity in the painting of Himachal Pradesh. Their paintings are a great blend of two art styles that grabs the attention of the visitors. For painting lovers, it is an excellent opportunity to learn about painting in Himachal Pradesh. This knowledge of painting will help you more in the future.
Painting Heritage of Himachal Pradesh
The visitors can observe the immense painting heritage of Himachal Pradesh in the museums and art galleries. Visiting the art galleries and museum will give you a tremendous experience. The visitors will not face any problem in finding the art galleries and museums in Himachal Pradesh. In addition to it, when you explore these places, then you will find miniature paintings.
These are showcased in several different forms. You will be surprised to know that the women of Himachal Pradesh have a good hand in the drawing. They draw several attractive and unique designs which grab the attention of the visitors. These designs are named the Yantras. They showcase their designs on some prestigious and specific occasions and ceremonies.
In addition to it, several towns display the paintings of Himachal Pradesh in a couple of rooms. The couple rooms are specifically designed for those who come for the honeymoon. It is known as the “ToranaGriha”. The paintings which are used in these kinds of rooms for decoration are known as the Kamado. In addition to it, these paintings indicate some specific theme. Moreover, the theme revolves around the idea of togetherness after the marriage.
Himachal has the painting schools that are Chamba and Kangra schools of paintings. These got the name and fame specifically for the admirable depiction of the court, passionate scenes, and so on. In addition to it, there is also a famous art school in the Himachal, which is named the Gompa School.
Different Painting Styles of Himachal Pradesh
The culture of Himachal Pradesh is the blend of Hindus, tribes such as Kinnars, Gujjars, Christians, and so on. In addition to it, the culture of Himachal Pradesh is influenced by the borders connected with it. In addition to that, it is famous for several paintings, which are known as the Pahari Paintings.
The painting of Himachal Pradesh is divided into several categories. In addition to it, here is the list of some different painting styles of Himachal Pradesh.
- It was considered one of the famous paintings in Himachal Pradesh. It was the name of the town which is located in Jammu and Kashmir. From this town, this style gained popularity.
- Moreover, Devi Das was the prominent painter of this school. He was famous for the Radha Krishna Depiction and king’s portrait.
- The colour contrast is linked with this school and their styles taken from the Malwa Painting.
Garhwal School of Paintings
- These kinds of paintings came from the Garhwal or Uttaranchal. Their name was derived from the Garhwal.
- It consists of the illustrations of the Ramayana, Gita Govinda, and so on. In addition to that, it also includes a great mixture of poetry, religion, and several other things.
Arki School of Paintings
- The Baghal state had the capital, which was named Arki. It was located in the Shimla Hills.
- The Basholi School of Paintings had a significant impact on the Arki School. However, over time, it was taken the Kangra Style.
- The paintings of this school are all about the Shiva Parvati, Krishna Legend, and so on.
Chamba School of Paintings
- The paintings of the Chamba were affected by the BasholiKalam. After that, it had a significant impact on the KangraKalam.
- It had a particular theme that revolved around the Vishnu in his two incarnations, Rama and Krishna.
- The prominent artist of Chamba Painting was Nikka in the era of the 18th century.
- There is a similarity between the Chamba School of Painting and the Mughal Style of Painting. This painting also has a strong reflection of the Gujarat and Decann style.
Pahari School of Paintings
- When it is a matter of style and colours, these paintings are similar to the Rajput Paintings.
- These paintings came into existence during the era of the 17th to 19th century. It was created in miniature painting forms.
Bilaspur School of Paintings
- This town is situated in Himachal Pradesh.
- Bilaspur experienced the dramatic growth of the Pahari Paintings near about the 17th century.
- The painters of Bilaspur made the paintings which are based on the coverlets specifically for the rituals and sacraments.
Mandi Style of Paintings
- From the time of 1684 to 1727, Mandi experienced a significant evolution in the new style of paintings.
- These paintings were about the ruler as a colossal figure which consists of a huge head, feet, and hands.
Nurpur Style of Paintings
- These paintings are found in Himachal Pradesh.
- It consists of vibrant and flat colours.
- After the later period, dazzling or attractive colours were added.
These are some different kinds of paintings of Himachal Pradesh. In addition to it, when you explore more about these styles of paintings, you will get plenty of information about it. Moreover, you will come to know about interesting facts. Apart from it, you can also get knowledge about Kangra School of Paintings, Guler-Kangara Paintings, and so on.
In the end, whenever you visit Himachal Pradesh, do not forget to visit the museums and art galleries. You will surely get a unique and mesmerizing experience. You will find yourself connected with the roots of Himachal Pradesh and its art. In addition to it, you will also get more knowledge about the history and art school, and so on. Travelling is not all about clicking the pictures, but also about gaining more experience.
Love Reading? Explore more articles and don’t forget to share.